Here is a helpful guide of questions for book club discussions on our titles. Thanks to Litlovers for providing this information in such a clear, well-thought-out manner.
- How did you react to the book? Were you drawn in immediately, or did it take you a while to "get into it"?
- Describe the main characters—their personality traits, motivations, inner qualities…
- Why do characters do what they do?
- Are their actions justified?
- Describe the dynamics between the characters.
- How have past experiences shaped their lives?
- Do you admire or disapprove of them?
- Do they remind you of people you know?
- Do the main characters change by the end of the book? Do they grow or mature? Do they learn something about themselves and how the world works?
- Is the plot engaging? Did the story interest you? What did you find most intriguing—the character development and/or the fast-paced, page-turning plot? Were you surprised by the story's complications?
- Is the ending satisfying? If so, why? If not, why not…and how would you change it?
- If you could ask the author a question, what would you ask? Have you read other books by the same author? If so how does this book compare. If not, does this book inspire you to read more of his/her novels?